Copyright 2008-2009 Micah Atwell

Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Next Batch of Straps

So, I'm really wanting to get started on another guitar strap but I don't have all the material I need yet. 2 hides of pigsuede are still on backorder. What I did this time was order some "mystery package" leathers, the mystery lies in what colors I will receive. I figured I would make a batch of 3-layer straps from whatever color-combos I had to work with (3 layers of thin leathers sandwiched together, makes them more flexible than 1 or 2-layers of thicker leather).

For the top layer, I received a huge piece of black grained cowhide and a smaller hide of slightly olive/grey-colored pigskin. I also have a large piece of natural veg-tanned split (suede) which is for the middle layer. Just waiting on the bottom layer stuff to show up. Fortunately, the black will go with whatever other colors I end up with (though I was hoping for something more interesting than black). Hope I get something that matches that olive/grey hide.

Also trying to think of how I can give these straps some uniqueness. There are several places that make similar straps and they generally only have their name or logo stamped/printed on them. These thinner, grained leathers don't work the same as the heavier veg-tan stuff I've used when it comes to drawing/carving/dying designs. But I have a bunch of scrap leathers that I might be able to put to use 3-dimensionally, plus a few other ideas.

Still, I find it easier to get ideas when I have all my materials in front of me.

No comments: